142. The Government will continue to invest in infrastructure projects with a view to building a better city and improving quality of life. In the next few years, the annual capital works expenditure is expected to reach $100 billion on average, and the annual total construction output will increase to around $300 billion.
143. The Government has earmarked $6.5 billion for implementing a number of harbourfront development initiatives. Taking the example of the highly popular harbourfront promenades, our target this year is to open up another kilometre or so of new promenades, further extending the total length of the promenades along both sides of the Victoria Harbour to 24 kilometres.
Making Good Use of Government Land
144. In last year's Budget, I set aside $22 billion to take forward the projects under the "single site, multiple use" initiative. The six projects in the first batch comprise the redevelopment of Tuen Mun Clinic, development of a proposed ambulance depot near Sheung Wan Fire Station, consolidation of several government sites in Tsuen Wan town centre, as well as the construction of joint-user buildings for community facilities at the former Anderson Road Quarry site, Tseung Kwan O town centre and Shan Mei Street in Shatin. We will finalise the mix of community facilities in the relevant projects.
145. Railway has always been the backbone of the passenger transportation system in Hong Kong which facilitates daily commuting and promotes district development. Two weeks ago, Tuen Ma Line Phase 1 was smoothly commissioned. We expect the MTR Corporation Limited (MTRCL) to complete the remaining works of the Tuen Ma Line and the Hung Hom to Admiralty Section of the Shatin to Central Link as soon as possible, with target commissioning in end-2021 and the first quarter of 2022 respectively.
146. We will progressively implement the new railway projects recommended under the Railway Development Strategy 2014, and invite the MTRCL to commence detailed planning and design for the Tung Chung Line Extension, the Tuen Mun South Extension and the Northern Link in the coming year. We will consult the public on these new railway schemes after they are finalised.
|Previous Page | Content | Next Page|